Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts

Roasted vegetables (like these Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes) are superior in almost every way; it’s a fact. But they take up valuable oven space on holidays. Make them ahead of time and reheat!  Save on time and stress.
Do you like Brussels sprouts? I have to admit, they are a recently found love of mine. Probably because my family NEVER ate them growing up. I saw this on my cousin’s Facebook page:
“We’ve never cooked Brussels Sprouts before. Do we need a special pan?”
And then there were tons of comments from my extended family with things like, “worst vegetable on earth,” and “let the kids use it as a sword and then throw it in the trash!” It’s no wonder I never had them growing up. The real question is, Mom, why didn’t you buy me a Brussels sprout sword?? Wth.
My brother Nate was the one who convinced me to try them a few years ago, and he said the only way you should be eating them is roasted. (And that is still the only way I have tried them.) Why mess with a good thing? They are delicious.
My cousin Lani made some when they had us over for dinner several weeks ago, and she sprinkled cumin all over them before roasting. Best idea ever! I love the earthy, nutty dimension it gives the sprouts. I threw some sweet potatoes on the pan as well, and loved the combination.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
  • 1 large sweet potato (1 pound)
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • fresh thyme, to garnish
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Trim your Brussels by cutting off the little brown end. If there are any yellow leaves, pull them off. Cut any large ones in half. Add to a large bowl.
  3. Peel your sweet potato and chop into 1-2 inch pieces. Add to the large bowl.
  4. Smash 2 cloves of garlic and add it to the bowl.
  5. Pour 1/3 cup olive oil over the vegetables.
  6. Add cumin, garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to coat.
You can find complete recipes of this Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts in thefoodcharlatan.com
- food recipes

Healthy Recipes

Previous
Next Post »